A great feller named Alex nominated me for the Liebster award! Thanks, friend! (Sorry it took me so long to post.) I’ve been given 8 questions to answer, after which I must state 11 random tidbits about myself. Allez!
Why did you decide to become a writer?
I never “decided” it. One day I sprung a leak and stories poured out.
Who are your influences/inspirations?
I look up to David Foster Wallace, Margaret Atwood, Jonathan Safran Foer, Jodi Picoult, too many others to list…
Do you write in a silent room? If not, what kind of music is your writing’s soundtrack?
Balmorhea, Nils Frahm, Olafur Arnalds – excellent for thoughtful or sad scenes.
The “Oblivion” movie soundtrack – perfect for suspense, intensity, or action.
Is there any genre you do not enjoy?
There’s no hard rule, but things I usually don’t care for in my reading are: politics, the military, the mafia, cowboys, spaceships, dragons, Fabio-type romances, vampires. (Again, not ironclad, just my usual trend.)
Any memorable trip you have made? Where’s the next one?
I’ve been to Costa Rica, France, and Italy, all of which were too amazing for a short answer! For our next trip, my boyfriend and I are planning for either Belize or an extended RV-trek around the US, whichever comes first.
Do you write while on a trip?
Not on short trips – too busy soaking up the experience.
Planes, trains, or car, as a means of transportation during a trip?
I prefer commuting by zorb ball. Pterodactyl if it’s too bumpy.
How do you manage writer’s block?
Banging my forehead on the keys. Eating ice cream. Asking my dog to write it for me. Crying.
And now, 11 tidbitty morsels about moi!
1. I went to college for dance. When I started writing my first novel it was while I was working as a dance instructor, narrating away between classes.
2. I’m an adventure junkie. I’ve bungee-jumped, sky-dived, scuba-dived, white water rafted, gone hang-gliding, gone ziplining, rappelled into a cave, rappelled down a waterfall, and am going rock climbing up a mountain in a couple weeks.
3. I’ve worn glasses my whole life and can barely see two inches in front of my face without them. Got my first specs when I was 7. In high school I had purple-tinted lenses, haha.
4. I could eat nothing but pasta for every meal. I might get scurvy, but it’d be the most delicious scurvy ever.
5. I once dropped my phone in a bowl of soup.
6. The country I most want to visit is New Zealand.
7. I LOVE organizing things. Working at a library was my destiny.
8. Oh right, for those who don’t know, I work in a library! And also the theatre department of a university, setting up shows and the like.
9. One of the oldest objects in my house is a beach towel I got when I was like, 10. It’s green with the outline of a starfish in lighter green, and I still regularly use it.
10. I like words and names that have Z, V, and L in them.
11. I can play the clarinet, and pretty darn well, if I may toot my own woodwind…
Now, I know I’m supposed to tag people and give them new questions, but I’m going to play the lazy card today since I just did a similar thing for another award recently. Sorry! If you want, you can consider yourself tagged and copy Alex’s questions. 🙂